Sunday, September 03, 2006

Inside-Out Golumpkis

Gołąbki's are a regular dish in my Polish home. When I found this Weight-Watchers recipe (included below), I had to make this casserole. I doubled and modified this recipe, by sauteing the onions first (with a clove of garlic). I choose lean ground turkey and brown rice for the casserole layers. For convenience, I bought packaged shredded cabbage. Additionally, I used regular brown sugar (to taste) instead of equal or splenda and mixed into the tomatoes with a spicy Grey Poupon mustard.

This dish is a defininte keeper and will be added to my monthly repertoire. Although this meal isn't photogenic, it is delicious. Every bite has a nice balance of cabbage, tomatoes, brown rice and meat. The seasonings are adjusted to taste and the sweetness of the brown sugar mixed with the spicy mustard is perfect. The cabbage is not overpowering like I feel it can be in a cabbage roll.


Cabbage and Rice Casserole
4 Points Per Serving

8 oz. 95% lean ground beef or turkey
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup uncooked rice
3 cups canned diced tomatoes
2 tsp. Prepared mustard
2 tbs. brown sugar twin (if not available I use 2 packets of Sweet & Low or Equal)

Brown meat, discard fat. Spray 8" x 8" baking dish with Pam. Layer cabbage, onion, browned meat, rice. Mix tomatoes with mustard and brown sugar twin, pour over casserole layers. Bake at 350º F, covered, for 1-1/2 hours, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Makes 4 servings - 4 points each.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Oh! This is something my Czech heritage can appreciate!

...jus me said...

sounds pretty good! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I made this dish, first with 8 oz ground turkey, turned out great! Had to make it again, but this time we used 16 oz lean ground beef, it was even better and more filling. This is an easy dish to just preapare and refrigerate and then pack servings for lunch. Thanks!