Monday, May 26, 2008

Beef & Noodles

Beef & Noodles

1. Brown 1/2 lb of the leanest ground beef that you can find in a dutch oven. (Trader Joe's has ground beef that has only 4.5 grams of fat per serving.)
2. Remove the beef and wipe out the pot. Sautee 1 cup diced onions and 2 cloves of garlic until translucent.
3. Add the ground beef, 3 cups of broth (Beef or chicken broth is suggested. I used 1/2 chicken and 1/2 vegetable broth, because I am a use-what-I-got rock star.), 14.5 ounces of stewed tomatoes, and 2 TBSP worchester sauce. Bring to a boil.
4. Add 8 oz. whole wheat pasta (recipe called for egg noodles) cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
5. Add 1 cup frozen (but thawed) peas, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for an additional 3 minutes.

*The recipe states that it makes 5 servings. I divided this into 6 servings, with each serving being slightly more than one cup.

**Using the Nutritional Information from the recipe, 1/5 of the recipe is 5 points. When I use the recipe builder on WW, each 1/5 serving is 6 points. Therefore, I am counting my slightly larger than one cup serving (1/6 of the dish) as 5 points.

No comments: